Wow, it’s been over a year since I’ve posted anything on this blog. I’ve decided to come back for a couple reasons.
1. I’ve noticed, thanks to my “how to make your own blog header post“, my blog has been getting at least a 100+ hits a day. If you Google variations of “how to make a blog header” my post is somewhere between 3rd and 5th in every search I did depending on how the search is phrased. WOW! Some of these people are hanging around and subscribing, so I thought maybe it was time to come back.
2. I’ve had some things I’ve made/done/etc. that I want to share or write more about. It’s hard to do via my main online social outlets like Facebook. I sort of abandon this blog because I felt I couldn’t keep up. I felt like I should be posting content all the time and was stressing about doing so. However now I plan to just post when I want to with the hope that it is more manageable.
A lot has happened since I abandoned this blog over a year ago so I’ll try to catch everyone up.
– Last fall I completed my final semester of college – full-time student teaching. I have no idea how I managed between my two-hour daily commute, basically working full time (for free), and completing my final portfolio which was a full time job in and of itself. It completely boggles my mind now so I can only say by the grace of God I made it.
– I spent January and February just hanging out, doing nothing, and being 110% broke.
– The extra time did allow me to go snowboarding more and I completed one of this year’s goals of being able to link turns.
– In March I got a call from a school one afternoon needing a sub for a special educator – starting the next day and for the next week. They hinted that it might become a long-term position and by the Tuesday of the next week I knew I’d be there for at least 6 more weeks. Well 6 more weeks turned into the rest of the school year and I “officially” became the 1st/2nd grade special educator. Not having a degree in special ed. made it challenging at times, however, sadly the special educator was not doing her job, so just as long as I actually showed up and serviced my kiddos they were happy. I learned a lot from the experience, as tough as it was, and made some dear teaching friends who I miss everyday.
– I spent the summer as a nanny (as per usual) and praying for a job. The job did not happen.
– I did travel a lot this summer, which I hadn’t done in a few years and I loved it. One of my trips was going away to camp with my younger brother and his Young Life Capernaum club. Hanging out with hundreds of special needs teens and young adults was more fun than I could have ever imagined. This fall I joined the leadership team for our county’s club and I love it!
– I’m currently working on becoming a substitute in the county I live in to eliminate the longer commute (a.k.a. save money) to the county I student taught in and long-term subbed in.
– While I have been enjoying my time off, I’ve still be struggling with the reality of not getting a full-time job. Teaching is what I love and what I want to do. Until then I’m trying to amuse myself and spend my time being crafty.
Hence the blog comeback.
So sit, stay. Have a cup of coffee. I’ll see you around.